Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ringsurf's tutorial on how to lose business

It's good. Start by offering a great service, free. Lots of people jump in and are happy. Now, instead of asking them "Hey, we see that you like this....wouldja wanna pay a little for it?" I would have said "Sure". It's worth it to me to have this service. AS IT WAS.

Flickr did that. They let me upload a ton of pictures for free. I got to see pics of my granddaughter (who lives TOO far away) immediately when my daughter uploaded them. But the whole time we used the service, Flickr kept me up to date like this "We see that you are up to 25% capacity on your photos. You can keep uploading and maybe max out, but that's ok, we will still show you your newest pics.....(you get the idea) or (they said) you can upgrade to PRO and unlimited space for $$$. So, we just kept uploading, even when we maxed out our limit. And we liked it so much that I am now paying an annual fee to use it and I am happy to pay!

Hello Ringsurf!! Listen up! This is how you get money!

Here's Ringsurfs business plan: Without telling your users - re-direct all the internet traffic that you allowed them to use for free, and stick godawful ads on top of it and make it impossible to figure out how to get back off their site (I call that hijacking my computer!)

No, I won't let anyone do that to me. It took me days to find a new host (thank you Alt-webring.com), learn enough html to make things work the way I want them to, contact all my ringmembers and help them through the sign up process and keep at it for weeks - just to dump ringsurf and keep the service I've learned to love (BlogRings). It was worth it. I now know 2 things: more html (and I've been using it everywhere!) and Ringsurf isn't worth a dime.

Here's something you might want to know: I have a full tutorial HERE on how to create your own blog ring on alt-webring. Step by step, easy to follow, with screen shots and all. Join me, dump ringsurf, BE FREE!!!

No comments: